27 April 2010

Mermaid Tail Towel


I LOVE BIRTHDAY PARTIES!
Some might call me a bit of a fanatic when it comes to planning birthday parties for my younger Princesses. Their birthdays are almost exactly 6 months apart. This translates into a half a year of planning and preparation (obsession) for the next party! The first thing I do is have the Future Birthday Princess decide on a theme. This is the most challenging part of party planning as their tastes can be so fickle.
The present Future Birthday Princess has changed her theme 3 times this year. First she was adamant that her theme be  "Rock Star" since she announced to us that she was only into what is "COOL" and not "CUTE"! This phase actually included a complete wardrobe overhaul as I was chastised every evening  for my "CUTE STYLE" when I laid out her school clothes for the following day! She insisted she was no longer interested in pink and pretty! Much to my delight that phase was short lived. (Now what to do with all the BLACK shirts with skulls motives?)
The next request was a CHEERLEADER party theme. She is an ALL Star Cheerleader on a Tiny Tot team and it seemed appropriate. I was on-board for this and began some mental preparation and planning when The Future Birthday Princess attended a Barbie themed birthday party hosted by a friend. Their theme was based on a Barbie movie as I explained in a previous post.
So her FINAL (because I said so!) selection was a Barbie themed party based on the newest Barbie movie. BARBIE in a MERMAID TAIL.
I am not a fan of character specific themes but to make The Future Birthday Princess Happy I will incorporate elements of the movie to create her party. This is a similar concept to the last party we held where we combined the 3 Faves of our Little Princess, (TuTus, CuppyCakes & Ponies).
In case you do not have Barbie obsessed members of your family let me share the premise of the movie.
Malibu surfing champion who discovers she is really a mermaid. Done.
The birthday bash will be held at the clubhouse and pool of our community development. I vision the party decor to be a beach/surfing theme with hints of mermaid...I'm literally LOL right now at the silliness of it all!

I really enjoy creating favors that party guests can take home and use for dress-up fun, like these Ribbon TuTus I made for our last birthday bash.

I scoured the internet for ideas for favors and decorations and stumbled on these cute "Mermaid Towels" in the Chasing Fireflies catalog

I really liked the idea just NOT the price. I decided to try to design and create my own version of a MERMID TAIL TOWEL.
This Little Mermaid Princess LOVES her Mermaid Tail Towel!
Did I mention it can really be used as a towel?!?

Now with luck, patience and commitment I will make enough of MERMAID TOWEL TAILS for the little girls coming to the party. 

P.S. This is top of the gift list for The Future Birthday Princess...

11 comments:

  1. Your story sounds so familiar, last year my daughter had a rock star birthday party, and now this year after 4 or 5 changes in theme she also decided to use the barbie movie a mermaid tale. i also dont really like character based theme parties mainly because i have a mixture of half boy and half girl party goers to make happy, i had a luau for her third birthday because its july 27th. so i was going to use some of those decorations, and i was looking for a way to incorporate mermaids into it for the girls and i love your idea. i think sometimes planning these parties are as much fun for me as the actual party is fun for her! thank you for sharing you great idea,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mommies!
    *Anonymous, Stay tuned for what I have in store for the upcoming party. I just purchased mega cheap towels ($3 each) at a discount store and I plan on making a much simpler version of the mermaid tail towels. And the bonus is that they are going to be used as the chair decor as well!
    Here is a sneak peak at the video invitation we made. (click the link - http://animoto.com/play/h1feX5bE99SZOVkRhxsshg )I am working on the "packaging" and will be blogging about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you make these towels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hobby Moomy, I loved your idea! We are doing Barbie the Mermaid for my daughter bday party. Have you made tutorial of your version yet. I would love to see. I am not very crafty and have less than two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see the tutorial on this adorable project! Just wondering if I missed the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were you ever able to make the tutorial? We are having a mermaid party and I would love to make these. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to see the tutorial on how to make the mermaid tale. My daughter is having a mermaid party this summer and I'm already knee deep in planning. This is just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY GOSH, that is seriously TOOO cute!!!

    I'd love to have you share this at my For the Kids Friday Link Party! Stop on by and see what we're up to!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you ever post the tutorial on how to make the mermaid tails? Would love to know how to make them. My daughters 6th birthday party is coming up and I would love to do these for the girls!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete