13 September 2009

Semi-Homemade Butterfly Fairy Halloween Costume



Well I finally did it! I finished my first project since my blog conception.

We were fortunate over the labor day weekend to have a visit from from the Conductor's mother, A.K.A. Nana . Although breif, her visit was mission focused....School Shopping!
While browsing the picked over, nearly empty school supply aisle of Target my daughters noticed the strategically placed Halloween Costume section. I say strategic because I'm sure it was not random that the marketing/placement geniouses from Target placed the two themed areas next to each other.

I'm not a big fan of the mass produced, packaged Halloween Costumes. However, in the past I have added embellishments and my own personal touch to such costumes, creating a somewhat unique and semi-homemade garment. A concept derived from Food Network famed Sandra Lee and her Semi-Homemade techniques and tips.
In fact, when Brittney Spears launched her perfume line in 2005, a local retailer held a costume contest based on the theme of the new scent. I created a semi-homemade costume for my daughter who was 1 1/2 at the time. She won 1st place in her age group. I also entered a photo of her wearing the costume to PANHANDLE FAMILY MAGAZINE when they advertised a "Cute Kid" contest. My daughter made the finalist list and participated in a photo shoot. Her photo was pulished in the Spring Issue in 2006.

So, it's fair to say that our semi-homemade costume concept has been popular for us in the past.

Back to Target....we selected a cute Monarch Butterfly, tutu, fairy type costume and my creative juices started to flow!


Disappointment set in quickly when we opened the package and realized that the costume pieces provided did not exactly make the costume on the packaging.









We went outside and took our BEFORE pictures.



FRONT





BACK






I've mentioned before that I have a mild obsession with tulle so of course, I had to make this costume TuTuLicious! I added a matching tutu of varying tiered layers and scalloped the ends of the tulle. I added tons of ribbon and flowers. In all, I invested less than $25 for the add ons.


We went back outside and took our AFTER pictures :)


FRONT





BACK





HEADPIECE



TUTU












THANKS NANA!



5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish you lived next door!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those modifications are fantastic!!! You made an entirely different outfit out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My 5 year old wants to be a Monarch Butterfly for Halloween. Not just any butterfly but a Monarch. Did you make the extra Tutu or buy it somewhere? (where?) Thank you! Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete